Thursday, December 22, 2005

State College and QCTU

So, I see that our tournament director has denied the open program admission to the tournament because of their suspension. Calls have been made and Jen Waldrup (the women's director of QCTU) has received word that she should think about denying the women's program bid. Naturally, she came to talk to me about the matter, and I am extremely against denying them access for two reasons:

A) Their suspension is, for lack of a more profressional word, crap.
B) Since A exists, denying a team like this access to a tournament only hurts women's college ultimate from two view points: 1. Other teams do not get the chance to play against a strong college program - which there are still so few of and 2. It will ultimately really hurt, if not kill, the State College women's team. I personally do not want any hand in this part and would feel horrible about it.

So, given reasons A and B, I think State College should be given the green light to compete in any and all tournaments this year up until the series. What do others think about this matter?

4 Comments:

Blogger Mccants said...

one tournament will not hurt or kill the program that much, but QCTU could set a standard for tournaments all over the nation that could ultimately kill or hurt the program.

just wanted to clarify.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Gambler said...

I agree that Penn State (ahem, State College) should be accepted into QCTU and other pre-Series events, despite the team's current suspension.

To begin with, the suspension will be up for review in the spring, so the team could be eligible for the Series after all.

Secondly, this type of situation doesn't happen very often and I think that the ultimate community as a whole should support the team as it struggles to get back on track.

Thirdly, this situation is entirely different from a team playing with in-eligible players at tournaments before the Series (which shouldn't be allowed). The team is not mis-representing itself and if the suspension is not lifted, games against Penn State can simply be disregarded for seeding purposes of other teams.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Why would the TD reject the team? If they are of good enough quality to play and they have all college players that go to one school, then who cares? I think more of the issues is if Penn State wants to risk getting in more trouble or whatever the consequences are for participating, even if it is as "State College." If they want to take that risk, as a TD I wouldn't deny them.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Mccants said...

I am currently beginning "talks" with the TD (hopefully, i gave him my number and asked him to call me). Things have, in my opinion, gotten out of hand, and people need to actually speak on the phone about this matter. Very recently, a very detailed email about the situation was emailed to me with the UPA cc. I hope this gets resolved soon and there is a part of me that would not want to play myself if you all were denied the right to play. If the UPA truly feels that this is the way to go - denying you all entry to every pre season tournament - then I will go along with it. but, if it is not....well, then...i am not a fan and i think it will be obvious that i am not a fan.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home