Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Player Profile Nominations

In considering which women's college ultimate player to feature for February, I decided that I wanted more input from people on who should be highlighted. I've gotten a few e-mails this season suggesting some players that deserve the recognition, but I really want more nominations to chose from so that I don't end up featuring only players I know personally or that Stanford has played against. For instance, January's player profile was from an e-mail suggestion, and I am really glad that I got to know a little bit about Michelle's story.

So, who else should be considered?

Some things that I've thought about in the picks so far are:

  • Leadership. Players that are featured should be major forces on their teams and leaders either on or off the field.
  • Timeliness. If a team is doing really well and wins a big tournament, a player from that team will be more likely to be recognized the following month.
  • Lack of previous recognition. Often teams have a single player that gets her praises sung a lot even though there are other players who make just as big an impact for the team. It's nice to feature those other players too.
  • Diversity. At first the profiles only featured players from the NW and SW since that was the focus of the website. I've since expanded the coverage to include the whole country, so it's important to have profiles from different areas and different teams.
  • Personal Interest. Players with an interesting story to tell (ultimate or otherwise) are always good choices to highlight.


Please consider this a standing thread where you can post comments even long after the initial post. Thanks!

4 Comments:

Blogger AJ said...

In totally unrelated news, it might be fun to have a NUMP discussion thread/post. I don’t feel like I’m qualified to be a NUMP voter because I only know about 5 teams, but I still enjoy talking/speculating about the teams in the NUMP. I guess I could do it on RSD, but I usually feel like the blog crowd is more informed.

8:41 AM  
Blogger d said...

Player Profile - Meghan Cain (Joggles), Tufts

NUMP - Well, I don't feel like I know very much. It's all rumor and speculation. We're not professional media types that get paid to follow the sport, like the real media polls in other sports. So you just do your best. Therefore, you should join the NUMP.

10:34 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

I guess I’d be interested to hear the rationale about some of the choices that people made with their ballots. For instance, I understand bringing UC-Davis and UCLA into the rankings after their strong performance last weekend. But it’s seems a little strange to put Davis in there at 11 despite beating UCLA. Looks like they were punished by a bizarre tournament format – I’d expect the NUMP voters to look past that and give Davis more credit. Of course, I don’t know anything about the two teams – was the Davis win a fluke? Other things, I’m not sure I understand – why does Iowa drop 7 spots this week without playing – I understand they lost a bunch of players this year, but obviously there was some respect for them last week – what happened? Same question for MIT. Also seems strange to rank Florida below UNC and UGA after the way the fall games went between those teams.

Anyway, I know it sounds like I’m complaining – but really I just enjoy reading about college women’s ultimate and would love to hear why some of you voted the way you did. I realize that information at this point is super scarce etc….not trying to complain just interested.

Also, sorry for hi-jacking this post – Katherine Wooten from UGA would be a good candidate for player profile – there we’re back on topic.

aj

12:02 PM  
Blogger Gambler said...

Hmmm...both Megan O'Brien and Katherine Wooten were playing this past weekend at the club Trouble in Vegas and played quite well for their pick-up club teams too. Maybe I'll draw straws for who to feature between the two for February.

Still no nominations from the central or south regions though. Keep the names coming!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home