Friday, May 16, 2008

Some scattered late thoughts Friday night

  • So sad to see (or really, hear about, only caught a few points) Texas losing to Michigan State. They were so fun to watch in both the UW and Wisconsin game. I love wide open ultimate, with lots of hucks to athletic receivers, and tenacious D that fights for every point. Texas and Wisconsin played their hearts out in that game, and both got killed the next round...that's ultimate, and life, but it was so very sad.
  • On that note, no one gave much love to the bottom four seeds, and I was very impressed with all of them. I caught a bunch of Northeastern games - they had solid fundamentals and were SCRAPPY! And teams played down to them, so what the hell does that mean, when every team you play "plays down" to you? Something about their style forced the other teams, including UBC, out of the comfort zone and into a turnover-laden, swilly huck place. Not pretty. But I imagine the other teams underestimated how much Northeastern's D was interrupting their flow. Maryland was also scrappy and hardworking, but really hurt from the lost of their star player, Charlie Mercer. MIT had lots of heart, particularly in the final round. And Michigan State! Well, they're in the prequarters so you'll be hearing a lot more about them.
  • Players that pop - Lucia Derks, Wake Forest, carries the team on her back; Anne Mercier, man, no one can stop her, and she just seems so much older and more mature, and she's a sophomore!; Michelle Ng and Gina Phillips, they played fantastic in the two Texas games I saw; Georgia Bosscher, baller for Wisconsin.
  • Everything's all messed up so now UCLA has by FAR the easiest road to the finals. UW has to go through Ottawa; UCSB has to go through Oregon or Wisconsin. UBC seems Michigan, who has played really well all tournament. UCLA sees the winner of Carleton/Michigan State. And no all Canadian finals :)
  • Last note and then I'm finally going to bed. It is so so so hard to cover all the games. I fee l like I miss so much, and I don't get to talk to players and coaches the way I want to. I'm also trying hard not to be biased and watch only the teams I know, or only the teams that I think will make it far, particularly in pool play. But there are six games per round and sometimes all the games are really close. And sometimes something unexpected happens, like Texas losing to MI State, and I have to sprint from field to field to get the story. So, I'm sorry if my coverage of your team isn't as complete as you (and I) want it to be - I'm doing my best. Beg the UPA for 2 reporters per division! (And THANK YOU FRANKIE - he's here and helping me)
  • Off to bed. That write up took 3.5 hours and I didn't get any sushi

4 Comments:

Blogger Gambler said...

Keep the write-ups coming! We all appreciate the coverage.

5:46 PM  
Blogger daniel john said...

Very nice write up. Easy to understand and straight to the point.

Keep the ball rolling.

Term papers

12:29 AM  
Blogger chanel-bags said...

Chanel bags a20995
Chanel HANDbags a20995
Chanel a20995

7:28 PM  
Blogger hallsarah204@gmail.com said...

This is a truly awesome piece of writing! Hopefully, you will get in touch with writing editing services - edit-ing.services in order to start up your mutually beneficial cooperation! This collaboration will be perspective and prolific - attract your reading audience with well-researched articles!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home